Lowood Motor Racing Circuit (1948-66)
Following Lowood's RAAF aerodrome's decommissioning in 1946, it became a car and motorbike racing circuit.
It was first used in June 1948 for the Queensland Road Racing Championship,won by 'Snow' Sefton in his 'Strathpine Special'.
In June 1951 the Australian T.T. motorbike championships were held at Lowood Circuit, the first time the national titles had been held in Queensland.
During its first few years only occasional meetings were held at the circuit until, in 1956, the Queensland Racing Drivers' Club took over. A 4.54 km anti-clockwise track was built, with the aerodrome's 6000 feet runway becoming the main straight..Lowood Circuit became Queensland's premier racing venue.
On 12 June 1960 Lowood hosted the 25th Australian Grand Prix, won by Alec Mildren in his Cooper-Maserati T51 after 36 laps.
In 1961 Lowood hosted the second Australian Touring Car Championship. The Australian Formula 2 Championship was held in 1964.
A new event, the Lowood 4 Hour Race for production sedans, was staged 1964-66.
In 1966 the Queensland Racing Drivers' Club sold the Lowood Circuit and moved its operations to Lakeside, north of Brisbane. The old racetrack area was subdivided into small farms.
Lockrose Heritage Museum(15 Lockrose Rd, Lockrose) has a large collection of memorabilia, photos and race films from Lowood Circuit. Contact Neil or Gwen on 0401 196 400 or e: email@example.com