Royal Bank of Queensland (1902)
12 Railway St
Lowood's only National and State heritage listed building.
In March 1889 a Royal Bank of Queensland notice in The Brisbane Courier stated: "A branch of this bank is now open at Lowood, Brisbane Valley Line, for transaction of usual banking business." However the branch closed shortly after and did not re-open in Lowood for 13 years.
In February 1902, residents learned that the Railway Department had surveyed some of its land in Main Street for the construction of a Royal Bank branch, which opened in this building in October 1902 (where the CWA Hall is now).
In January 1917 the Royal Bank merged with the Bank of North Queensland to form the Bank of Queensland, and the Lowood branch was re-branded.
Following the 1917 merger this building was moved from Main Street to its present site in Railway Street.
The Queensland Times reported, "The removal of the building was a simple matter. The strong room, however, of brick and concrete and weighing between 38 and 40 tons was a more difficult problem. By the aid of 16 bullocks and a "forest devil," as well as several men, the vault was safely transferred to its new home without a crack, although several steel ropes and chains were broken."
In 1922 the Bank of Queensland merged with the National Bank of Australasia to form the National Australia Bank.
This became the local National Bank branch for the next 64 years until the new NAB building opened in Main Street in 1986.
The former bank is now Lowood Dental Surgery.