Wadley's Chemist Shop (1930)
73 Main Street
Lowood's first chemist was William Allen-Waters who opened in Main Street in 1901. He had previously been a chemist in Laidley.
About 1904 he relocated to new premises in Ellen Street but within another year or so he left Lowood.
It would be a long wait before another chemist came to Lowood.
In November 1930 The Queensland Times reported: "Mr John Walters has extensively improved Main Street's appearance by erecting new shops and renovating another. These shops are now occupied by Messrs J. Josefski (hairdresser), A. Wadley (chemist) and a cash and carry business."
The new shop at 73 Main Street became Wadley's Chemist & Optometrist.
For the next 16 years Arthur Wadley and his wife operated their businesses from here, before selling up in 1946.
In March 1946 The Queensland Times reported: "Mr and Mrs Wadley will be missed.
They are both closely connected with the public life of the town, and showed a keen interest in anything for the advancement of the town and district."
Various pharmacies operated from this shop for 50 years or so until Lowood's new Guardian Pharmacy opened next to the Medical Centre in Michel Street.