Railway Terminus (Club) Hotel (1884)
Railway was catalyst for first hotel
When Lowood became the first terminus on the Brisbane Valley railway in June 1884, The Brisbane Courier's correspondent lamented Lowood's lack of facilities: "At present we have neither a store, hotel nor post office."
However construction of Lowood's first hotel was already underway. When Michael Goos opened the Railway Terminus Hotel in late 1884, it was the town's first business and the first building in what became Railway Street.
Was there an earlier pub?
Some reports speculate that the town's first hotel was actually 'The Beacon Light', built in 1882 by Mick Feldham for licencee Michael Goos in Prospect Street where the first Police Station was later built. Research is continuing.
Despite the Railway Terminus Hotel being the town's only pub at the time, in February 1886 it was advertised for sale "...with licence and goodwill, furniture optional, price absurdly low." The town's second hotel was on its way.
Town's 2nd hotel opens
In July 1886 Samuel Jessop opened the Lowood Hotel (below left) at the opposite end of Railway Street on the corner of Main Street (where the petrol station is today).
In August 1886 the railway line to Esk was opened and it became the new terminus, so the Lowood hotel dropped 'Terminus' and became The Railway Hotel.
Growth brings third hotel
In 1893 Lowood's third and grandest hotel, The Royal (above right) opened at the corner of Main and Michel Streets. The Queensland Times reported: "The Royal, tenanted by Mr C.F. Arndt, is a substantial and imposing two-storied structure, the property of Messrs Blank Bros, saw-mill proprietors of Esk, who have just recently completed its erection."
New owners - new names
In 1902 John Barlow became licensee of the Railway Hotel and renamed it The Club Hotel. In time the hotel and its public hall, built in 1904 alongside the hotel in Railway Street, were simply referred to as "Barlows".
About 1910 F.W. Foster became the new owner and changed the names to Foster's Hotel and Foster's Hall.
Still going strong
Now known as the Club Hotel-Motel - or "The Bottom Pub" - it has traded continuously for 127 years and is the town's only original hotel, although it has been modified and extended several times.