Royal Bank of Queensland (1901)
12 Railway St
National and Queensland Heritage listed building.
Lowood's first private bank
In March 1889 a Royal Bank of Queensland public notice in The Brisbane Courier stated: "A branch of this bank is now open at Lowood, Brisbane Valley Line, for transaction of usual banking business. (signed) Edward Griffith, General Manager." However, within the year the branch was closed.
About 1901 the Royal Bank re-opened, in this building which was then in Main Street, (shown below right), on a site leased from Queensland Railways about where the CWA Hall is now situated.
Merger means name change
In January 1917 the Royal Bank merged with the Bank of North Queensland to form the Bank of Queensland, and the Lowood branch was re-branded.
Bank and strong room relocated
In July 1917 this building was moved from Main Street to its present site in Railway Street. The Queensland Times reported, "The removal of the building was a simple matter. The strong room, however, of brick and concrete and weighing between 38 and 40 tons was a more difficult problem.
"By the aid of 16 bullocks and a "forest devil," as well as several men, the vault was safely transferred to its new home without a crack, although several steel ropes and chains were broken."
Another meger and a new name
In 1922 the Bank of Queensland merged with the National Bank of Australasia to form the National Australia Bank, and this became the local NAB branch for the next 64 years until the new NAB opened in Main Street in 1986.
The former bank - the only state and national heritage-listed building in Lowood - is now a dental surgery.