St James' Church of England (1894)
56 Prospect Street
First church lost in 1893 flood
In 1886 St Mark's Church of England was built at Wivenhoe Pocket and monthly services were held there. In the March 1890 Brisbane River floods it was inundated but survived, only to be washed away three years later in the devastating floods of February 1893.
The Queensland Times reported that "...every home in the Pocket was completely submerged..." and the Church of England "...was completely washed away, as well as all church furniture including a good organ."
Funds to build a new church were soon raised and this elevated site overlooking Lowood was chosen.
Qld Governor does the honours
In November 1893 Queensland Governor, Sir Wylie Norman, performed the stump capping ceremony at the new church during his visit to Lowood to present bravery medals to four heroes of the February floods.
The church was designed by Anglican Diocesen Architect J. H. Butteridge and constructed by Lowood builder, Joseph Irwin.
St Mark's becomes St James'
The new St Mark's was completed in 1894 and on May 14 was dedicated by Canon David. Later it was re-dedicated as St James' when the new Wivenhoe church was built.
Extensions to St James' were added in 1928 and other changes to the structure and interior have been made over the years.
Memorial a reminder of local tragedy
On the inside south wall is a memorial to 10 year old Edwin Lawson who drowned in the Brisbane River on October 15, 1898. He was the only son of Henry Lawson, Head Master of Lowood State School, and his wife Amelia.
Come to pray or bring a bucket
St James' was the only church in Lowood with a bell for announcing Sunday services and welcoming the new year. It was also used as a fire alarm to alert residents whenever fires broke out in town.